The US has said it is in communication with both India and Pakistan on the case of Lashkar-e-Tayiba operatives David Coleman Headley and Tahawwur Hussain Rana, who were arrested by the Federal Bureau of Investigation in October on charges of plotting terror attacks against Indian facilities.
Interview with C D Sahay, former chief of the Research and Analysis Wing, on Headley and terror.
Union Home Secretary Gopal K Pillai said a Commission may even be sent to the United States for getting evidence, may be from Headley, his wife and from other people, for which it would talk to the US authorities.
The Indian Consulate in Chicago said the papers related to issuance of visas to terror suspects David Coleman Headley and Tahawwur Rana had not gone missing and the 'relevant information' in this regard is available with the Indian government.
'There is nothing in Headley's testimony. Where is he saying anything? He says, 'I don't know, I don't know.' He says 'I overheard somebody's speech.' Is this evidence? This is double hearsay.' 'If this (the Ishrat Jahan encounter) investigation is really carried out further it points to the heart of BJP's political leadership. And therefore they want you to distract you and say terrorist, terrorist.'
The Maharashtra government's decision to appeal against the acquittal of Fahim Ansari and Sabahuddin largely depends on India's interrogation of Lashkar operative David Headley.
In the volatile international situation where 'nativism' is on the rise and immigrant communities are being targeted, the Leader of the Opposition's statement is like adding fuel to fire. If the Indian diaspora numbering 4 crores is threatened it will constitute a grave threat to national security, warns Colonel Anil A Athale (retd).
Two years after his role in terror activities surfaced, the National Investigation Agency on Saturday chargesheeted Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative David Headley, Lashkar founder Hafiz Saeed and two Inter-Services Intelligence officers for plotting terror attacks in India including the 26/11 strikes.
A top United States intelligence official has said that the probe in the Mumbai terror siege is an 'excellent example' of cooperation between India and the United States, even as Indian authorities are smarting over the US administration's refusal to hand over Pakistani-American Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative David Coleman Headley on charges related to his involvement in the 26/11 attack.
Mumbai attacks co-accused David Headley on Wednesday testified that New Delhi-based National Defence College is on the hitlist of terrorists as 26/11 mastermind Illiyas Kashmiri believes in this way he can kill more Indian brigadiers than what the Pakistan Army could not do in four wars with India.
All bottlenecks have been removed and a new team will be sent to the US to pursue the matter of India's access to David Headley, who has confessed to his involvement in the Mumbai terror attacks, Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium said on Saturday.
Asking the government to 'stop pussyfooting' on the David Coleman Headley case, the Communist Party of India-Marxist on Saturday said it must immediately seek access to the terror accused
Mumbai terror attack operative David Coleman Headley, who had been vehemently denying that he had not been paid by Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence, finally made a sensational revelation before a court today that the ISI had massively funded his entire operation.
India said on Sunday that it is yet to get access to Lashkar-e Taiba operative David Headley but negotiations are underway on this issue and it is "satisfied" with the progress of discussions.
External Affairs Minister S M Krishna on Tuesday expressed happiness over media reports that Indian investigating agencies would get direct access to David Coleman Headley, the man charged with scouting targets for the 2008 Mumbai attacks.
Chilling confessions of Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative David Coleman during his 30-hour interrogation with the National Investigation Agency last year reveal that the 26/11 attack is not the worse the nation has experienced. In fact, the terror strike that massacred Mumbai has only inspired the terror group to continue waging "war" against India.
A Delhi court on Monday issued fresh non-bailable warrants against Pakistani-American David Coleman Headley, his accomplice Tahawwur Rana, Lashkar-e-Tayiba founder Hafiz Saeed and 26/11 attack mastermind Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, who are accused of carrying out terror attacks in New Delhi.
The United States has put the case of David Coleman Headley, Mumbai terror attack suspect now languishing in a Chicago jail, as one of the key counter-terrorism cases on information sharing with its partners.
Special Secretary (Internal Secretary) U K Bansal met Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium on Tuesday night and discussed with him about the options available before Indian investigators to question Headley under the plea bargain agreement between him and the American government.
An NIA official, who was part of the team that interrogated David Headley in FBI custody, tells Vicky Nanjappa that the Pakistani-American terrorist was beaming with pride each time they asked him about his association with the Lashkar and also his role in the 26/11 attacks.
Talking tough, External Affairs Minister S M Krishna on Tuesday told Pakistan to take "seriously" the revelations made by Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative David Headley on the Mumbai attacks and not "push them under the carpet".
According to these documents, unsealed after Chicago Tribune petitioned before the court, Major Iqbal, said to be an ISI officer, also gave him Indian currency notes for his operation in India.
As Indian and American investigators dug deeper into the David Headley case, some Bollywood stars who had reportedly interacted with the American terror suspect during his stay in Mumbai in 2007-2009, are likely to be questioned.
Here are the revelations made by Headley so far in the deposition
A Delhi court on Saturday took cognisance of the National Investigation Agency chargesheet against Pakistani-American David Headley Coleman and eight others for allegedly carrying out several terror attacks in India.
The Delhi police on Sunday conducted searches in cyber cafes and hotels in central Delhi's Paharganj area where suspected Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative David Coleman Headley stayed during his three-day trip here in March this year.
NIA sources told rediff.com that Headley is wanted for larger crimes in India and the concept of dual sovereignty is being quoted in the latest bid to extradite or at least question him once again.
David Coleman Headley, the Pakistan born Lashkar-e-tayiba operative held for planning a terror strike in India changed his name from Daood Gilani to allay suspicion when he was traveling abroad, The Washington Post said in a report.
Rana knew about my association with LeT. I informed him about the training imparted by me to LeT operatives. I disclosed to Rana that I was spying for LeT. This was four to five months before the 26/11 attacks," said Headley.
Official access for Indian investigators probing the Mumbai terror attack to Pakistani-American Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative David Coleman Headley will help prove to the world Pakistan's involvement in the 26/11 strikes, the Bharatiya Janata Party has stated."It (consequences of his pleading guilty before a United States court) is a mixed bag. As we cannot get extradition, it is a loss. But, at the same time, we can get official access," BJP said.
Aspiring actor and fitness trainer Rahul Bhatt, whose proximity to 26/11 conspirator David Headley brought him under the scanner of anti-terror agencies, feels the 35-year prison term for the Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative is 'inappropriate' and wants him to be tried in India and 'rot' in jail.
Investigations into the Headley case is not a cricket match for which a ball-by-ball description has to be given, Union Home Minister P Chidambaram retorted on Saturday while refusing to share with the media details of the probe on the Lashkar-e-Tayiba plot to carry out terror attacks in India.
Amid criticism in India that the United States did not convey to India specific information on David Headley, President Barack Obama on Monday shared with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh results of an ongoing probe into why US intelligence agencies failed to connect the LeT terrorist to the Mumbai attacks.
With the United States promising to give India access to 26/11 accused David Headley, Solicitor General Gopal Subramaniam on Saturday left for Washington to discuss legal modalities for it.
In such big cases, approver makes the task easier to prove someone guilty in the court of law, says M N Singh.
A S Dulat, former Indian spy chief, speak about the implications of the Devid Headley case in an in-depth interview.
After the United States government clarified that he will not be extradited to India or Pakistan, Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative David Coleman Headley has agreed to be 'available' to foreign governments, such as India, who may 'interview' him only on US soil. Under the plea agreement that Headley has entered into with the prosecutors for pleading guilty to 12 counts of terror charges, he cannot be extradited to India, Pakistan or Denmark if he pleads guilty.
A US court in California has dismissed a status conference motion moved by imprisoned Pakistani-origin Canadian businessman Tahawwur Rana, who is sought for his involvement in the 2008 Mumbai terror attack, stating that it anticipates a ruling on his extradition to India within 30 days.
In respect of all other charges relating to the Mumbai attack, Headley is the only accused. No one else has been cited as co-accused.
Yashasvi Jaiswal joined the legendary Sunil Gavaskar as the only two Indian batters to score more than 700 runs in a bilateral Test series.